The Swinging Sticks
This elegant, seemingly simple structure arouses people’s curiosity – how does it work? The kinetic sculpture is carefully hand-made by experienced craftsmen, who precisely calibrate the weights and magnets in the arms to achieve endless unpredictable movement. Although it may seem easy to make, in fact, a deep knowledge of science, mathematics, and physics is essential to understanding how it is made and works.
How The Swinging Sticks Works
The Swinging Sticks sculpture works by imitating permanent motion devices. It is an illusion, since it is driven by electric current and electromagnetic fields. Current physics believes that modern technology cannot achieve a true perpetual motion machine. However, one of the key principles in physics also points out that moving electrons generate magnetic fields. The generated magnetic field is the driving force of the entire sculpture.
The Swinging Sticks contains sensitive sensors that can perform various functions. Two of the sensors are used to measure the speed of the rotating rod. The middle electric coil is used to adjust the speed faster or slower, according to the readings from the 2 sensors.
The arm of the Swinging Sticks has a powerful neodymium magnet built in. When these magnets pass through the magnetic field generated by the electric coil, they will be repelled and “assist” the unpredictable “chaos” motion.
Precision Engineered to Extremely Tight Tolerances
In engineering, a tolerance is the allowable margin of error. The Swinging Sticks sculpture requires highly precise components engineered to tight tolerances in order to meet stringent quality requirements . Each sculpture undergoes a final QC test of for a minimum of 4-7 days to ensure flawless and beautiful performance.
The aluminum tubes are extruded from the highest quality aluminum available. This assures each tube’s walls will be perfectly round without varying thicknesses so that a balanced fluid motion is achieved. Symmetrical tube walls allow the bearing hub to be inserted with optimal resistance as it is pushed down the tube shaft.
Forced long live high-quality bearings are integrated in the tube’s hub bearings. Each hub bearing is precisely CNC’d to a diameter that lets the hub be gently inserted down the main axis with just enough resistance to prevent the hub from exiting the other end.
Unique Serial Numbers
Each of our products comes with a laser etched unique serial number. This allows us to trace the movement and lifecycle of each product we produce. This helps prevent counterfeits and knock-offs, and assures you that you are getting the real deal.
Our products come triple-boxed: A thick outer cardboard box, an attractive display box, and a molded inner form (pictured above). This assures that you get your product in pristine condition no matter where you live.
Trained craftsmen assemble the units 100% by hand, such as setting the final holes, weights, making necessary adjustments and balance testing. Each of The Swinging Sticks requires several hours of assembly and testing.
About this item
- SLEEK, SOPHISTICATED DESIGN: The Swinging Sticks Kinetic Energy Sculpture seemingly defies gravity as the double pendulum creates a fluid, relaxing rotation designed to change speeds and direction for no apparent reason. This high-quality, museum-style motion sculpture gives the illusion of perpetual motion designed to baffle and amaze all onlookers.
- BEAUTIFUL ART: Perfect for any environment, The Swinging Sticks is ideal for conference rooms, offices, waiting rooms, display windows, and foyers. This sculpture will provide relaxing entertainment and be the center of attention no matter where.
- HOW IT WORKS: Powered by 4 AA batteries (included), the aluminum sticks revolve in a mysterious, perpetual motion, creating an entertaining hypnotic effect.
- NEVER-ENDING: Continuously rotating, The Swinging Sticks is designed to remain in motion unassisted. The constant, fluid motion is designed to appear like the sculpture is changing speeds and directions while continuously rotating.
- ALMOST SILENT: A beautiful piece of art, this kinetic sculpture operates almost silently and is well recommended for quiet office and medical environments.